News & Events
Orientation Workshop on Roles and Responsibilities of the New Generation School BoardDate : 2020-10-17
The New Generation School Initiative (NGSI) hosted an Orientation Workshop on “Roles and Responsibilities of the New Generation School Board at the Capital and Provincial Levels,” who were from Phnom Penh, Kandal, Kampong Speu, Kampong Cham and Svay Rieng provinces. This workshop took place on 16th October 2020 in Phnom Penh. This workshop focused on the following contents:
1. General presentation of the New Generation School profile, the first test of understanding the New Generation School Initiative and watching the NGS’ promotional videos produced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
2. Introduction to the NGS’ key regulations, such as alternative schools, maximum standards and 21st century education.
3. Demonstration of the NGS’ core principles including (1) operational autonomy, (2) restricted accountability, (3) high professional standards, (4) accreditation assessment system and (5) rational resource allocation framework.
4. Presentation about the NGS’ pedagogical methodologies focused on constructive learning theories that were environmentally supported by other elements, such as (1) good governance, (2) 21st century libraries, (3) teachers’ vocational learning communities, (4) classroom designs and learning materials, (5) technology and (6) mentoring system.
5. NGS consisted of measurement factors including (1) national school accreditation with 24 criteria, (2) International accreditation with 5 criteria, (3) 10 indicators to report to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, (4) more than 80% of the students had to continue to study at the higher education level, (5) general examination (BACII) results had to be higher than the national average, (6) study results focused on reducing dropout to the lowest and high promotion level, (7) students had to create a series of achievements to receive medals, rewards, participation certificates of the national and international competitions and (8) promoting social equity where the poor students would not be required to pay voluntary contributions.
6. presentation about the core contents in the NGS’ operational guidelines including (1) school selection, (2) admission, (3) board roles and responsibilities, (4) accreditation procedures, (5) expected standards for performance, (6) operational autonomy, (7) recruitments, (8) resource allocation, (9) teacher development, (10) information technology utilization, (11) social equity fund, (12) parental support and (13) finance and administration preparation.
7. Presentation about the main roles of the boards at capital and provincial level including (1) reviewing and approving the school's monthly budget proposal, (2) recruiting teachers at the local level and preparing appointment letters for the NGS’ staff, (3) review the performance indicators and (4) select the candidates of the New Generation Schools to submit to the National Board for reviewing and approval or rejection as a suitable school for investment.
Link to other Website
Ministries of Royal Government of Cambodia
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS)
- Ministry of Health (MoH)
- Ministry of Economy and Finance (MoEF)
- Ministry of Interior (MoI)
6Higher Education Institutions